That is a summary of all writing workshops offered by the Student Learning Commons.
All SLC Writing Workshops are recognized regarding the record that is co-Curricular), the state University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Our most popular workshops (based on recent attendance and faculty requests for course integrated workshops) are indicated with an asterisk.
Note : Are you a program or professor leader interested in requesting a writing workshop for the course or group? Fill in our survey to put your request. With sufficient notice, it is possible to request any of the workshops below or a variety of topics customized to meet up with your students’ needs.
Academic Writing Refresher
This workshop offers a quick breakdown of strategies and skills for successful writing, with returning/ transfer/ mature students at heart.
- Gain a knowledge of strategies and skills that support successful academic writing;
- Be encouraged to ask questions to demystify expectations around academic writing;
- Reconnect with writing best practices;
- Learn where to find support for the writing process.
Academic Writing Q&A. or Top items to Know About Academic Writing
This 50-minute session reviews the most truly effective 5 things most useful to learn about academic writing. The rest of the session is specialized in answering your burning questions (no matter what basic or complex) about academic writing and writing into the disciplines. You’ll take away some answers, including how to locate more help when you need it!
- Find out about the qualities unique to writing that is academic a genre;
- Have the opportunity to dispel some misunderstandings about academic writing;
- Feel more confident in what academic writing is and what it is not;
- Know where to find more help when it is needed by you.
Analyze This! From Summary to Critical Writing*
are you asked to publish a critical analysis but are not sure how to overcome it? (more…)